Tuesday, September 29, 2009

09-21-06: Soon As You Got Close To Her Heart You Was Old News

This mix from three years ago features the music of Led Zeppelin: the frantic "Trampled Under Foot" and the awesomely heavy "When The Levee Breaks" which is a repurposing of an old blues standard. I've included another one of those, Blind Willie Johnson's "In My Time Of Dying (Jesus Make Up My Dying Bed)", that Zeppelin also later re-worked.  Finally, I have a live cover of their "The Battle Of Evermore" by the Lovemongers, who are really the Wilson sisters from the band Heart as well as a gentle cover of their "Your Time Is Gonna Come" by Sandie Shaw.

A couple songs repeat this week.  I have the original version of Kiss' "Black Diamond" as well as a spirited cover by The Replacements.  I also included the original version of Van Morrison's "Domino" as well as a rare acoustic demo version.

Other stuff: the rhythmic "The Boy With Perpetual Nervousness" by The Feelies, Mark Lanegan's gritty "Hit The City" with PJ Harvey, Fats Domino's chipper "Whole Lotta Loving", Barry White's conciliatory "Baby, We Better Get It Together", Real Live's swaggering "Real Live Shit", Sinead O'Connor's percussive "I Am Stretched On Your Grave", Sceyalone's detailed "Angelina Valintina", the menacing "Machine Gun Funk" by The Notorious B.I.G., the autumnal "Patchouly Leaves" by MF Doom, and a cover of The Beatles' "Yesterday" by PP Arnold.

The Boy With Perpetual Nervousness The Feelies