Sunday, February 1, 2009

02-01-07: She Got A Camouflaged Face And No Money

This mix kicks off with Aerosmith's "Sweet Emotion", which also kicks off one of my very favorite films, Dazed And Confused.  Every song in the movie has special resonance for me for simply being in that movie. I would go on, but this is a music blog.

The rest is a hodgepodge:  Madlib's mysterious instrumental "Third Ear", the sinister DJ Muggs and GZA collaboration "Smothered Mate" and the even more sinister "Down By The Water" by PJ Harvey.

Continuing in order: the posthumously released and Curtis Mayfield-sampling "Niggas" from The Notorious B.I.G., then three songs called "Children's Story".  The first is a remix of Slick Rick's classic that seems to sample "It Takes Two" by Rob Base &  DJ E-Z Rock. The second is a macabre spoken word piece from Tom Waits. Then, a Tricky cover of the Slick Rick original.

"You Are The Way You Are" is a lush, slick instrumental from Marvin Gaye's sessions for the I Want You album.  "W.O.E. is Me (World Of Entertainment)" by Jurassic 5 has a refreshing old school vibe. Ronnie Ronalde's bizarre "The Yodelling Whistler", with its animal noises, never fails to start dog barking in my house.  David Bowie's poppy "Blue Jean" may not be considered an artistic peak, but for me it's a sweet reminder of my early high school years. I can almost feel the acne on my chin.

I have always loved The Spinners, and the live version of "How Could I let You Get Away" is notable for Philip Wynne's hilarious and affectionate  impressions of other soul singers.  No one can imitate Mr. Wynne, "The Rubberband Man". He was in a class of his own.

Sister Sledge was best known for "We Are Family" but I like the sweet single "Thinking Of You". So did Paul Weller, his uplifting acoustic cover is here as well.  In between: RIAA mash up Burt Bacharach's "Say A Little Prayer" with the vicious Johnny Rotten screed "Religion" from his group Public Image Limited.  Has to be heard to be believed!  Also, Simon & Garfunkel's "The Boxer". When I was in college, a very sweet and spacey girl in our clique, who I eventually dated, stayed out with us to get Paul Simon tickets. She wondered if "Garfield" might join him.  You know, the sardonic orange cartoon cat?  She never lived that down, but I don't mean to imply she was dumb--she got her PhD and taught as a college professor.  To kids who probably couldn't distinguish Garfunkel from Garfield.

Three low-tempo covers to end the mix:  Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson doing The Eagles' "Take It To The Limit", Etta James (who also does a great cover of that song) doing an amazing version of the old 60s song "Never My Love" by The Association and finally, M. Ward's radical re-working of David Bowie's "Let's Dance."

I wonder what he, or Etta, Willie or Waylon, could do with "Blue Jean". Wouldn't bet against them.