East Of Undergound was an amateur group of musicians stationed as US Army soldiers overseas during the Vietnam War. Shortly before I made this mix last year, an album of their work was dusted off and released on CD. It's mostly covers of popular songs of the time, recorded in 1971. Here, I have from them an amazing cover of Undisputed Truth's paranoid "Smiling Faces Sometimes".
That's followed by an exotically flavored cover of Bob Dylan's "One More Cup Of Coffee" by Robert Plant. Then, Bob himself with the haunting "Ain't Talkin" from his recent Modern Times album.
Also on here: the bluesy "Slave" by The Rolling Stones, Curtis Mayfield's mellow "Tripping Out", Biz Markie's funky "This Is Something For The Radio", the cheerful "Pole Musa" by Daudi Kabaka, early 1930s lullaby "Watching The Knife And Fork Spoon" by Don Redman & His Orchestra, and the nearly a cappella "Cotton Picker" by 50s rock legend Eddie Cochran.
There simply isn't a more joyful song in the world than Van Morrison's "Jackie Wilson Said (I'm In Heaven When You Smile)". The parenthetical part of the title is nearly indecipherable when Van sings it in the chorus. It sounds like another language. Here, it's preceded by Mr. Wilson's smash "Reet Petit", which is pretty damn joyful as well.
While we're on this happy vibe, last year the vocal track of Van Halen's "Runnin' With The Devil" made the rounds of the internet. I think at least 3 friends emailed it to me. David Lee Roth's vocals, stripped up the Van Halen brothers' backing, are a blast: growling, yelping, screaming and other joyful wordless singing around the lyrics. Here, it's followed by a remix of M.I.A.'s "Paper Planes" that starts with a sample of Van Halen's "Runnin' With The Devil" and also includes bits of Paula Abdul's "Straight Up" and "Shout" by Tears For Fears.
Other remixes: Eric B. & Rakim's "Paid In Full" picks up a sample of John Cougar's "Jack & Diane" and also an amazing remix of "Break On Through" by The Doors that intercuts Jim Morrison speaking from the stage. I enjoyed hearing this played at my friends' wedding reception last summer, while watching a tall, quiet woman go nuts with a wild arm-swinging hippie dance. Also remixed, Digable Planets' 9th Wonder with the vinyl pops adding a cozy touch.
Finally, this mix is bookended with the early Randy Newman composition "I Think It's Going To Rain Today." It's been covered by many, most famously Joe Cocker and Dusty Springfield. Here, I have his little-heard original version as well as a stunning take by Nina Simone. It's such a heart-rending song about loneliness, but in her hands it's triumphant. Near the end in particular, as she punctuates the chorus with "yeah!" a few times, one feels that this is not at all a sad song, but an exuberant one.