Monday, February 16, 2009

02-16-06: Seems That I'm Always Thinking Of You

"You've Really Got A Hold On Me" was written by a very young Smokey Robinson in a hotel room.  He wanted to write a song like Sam Cooke's "Bring It On Home To Me".  The result was one of his first major hits, and in most places I see that Sam Cooke gets a co-writing credit as well.

In addition to Smokey's version with The Miracles, I have versions here by Laura Nyro & Labelle, The Beatles, The Jackson 5 and Jackie DeShannon.

Sam Cooke's iconic version of "Bring It On Home To Me" was an uncredited duet with his young protege, Lou Rawls; who eventually married Sam's widow. I have another solo version by Mr. Rawls, as well versions by The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band and The Animals.

And of course The Zombies must have seen the link between these two songs, as they recorded them together as one song, which is also here.

There was still room on my mix for a few other songs: the cheerful "One Way Ticket" by early 70s British duo Curtiss Maldoon, Prince's then-recent comeback single "Black Sweat",   the breezy "Wasn't Born To Follow" by The Byrds, De La Soul's playful "Ring Ring Ring (Ha Ha Hey)", and Sun Ra's live version of the Disney chestnut "High Ho! High Ho!".

And now, a commercial break: "Wu Wear Garment Renaissance" is essentially a jingle from RZA for the new line of Wu-Tang Clan clothing, but it works as a nice little banger as well. Macy Skipper was an obscure rockabilly singer who cut one single for Stax in 1961. "Goofin' Off" is, like the RZA song, some kind of commercial with play-acting and music.  His speech is hard to understand in parts, but entertaining just the same.

The Paul Simon album reissues are stacked with great alternate versions of his songs. I love the original demo version of "Gone At Last" with The Jessy Dixon Singers.

Keeping the good groove going are the last three songs I haven't yet noted. They were all produced by J Dilla, who had passed away a week before.  From his group Slum Village I have "Forth & Back (Rock Music)".  Even better is the funky cover of Roberta Flack's "Feel Like Making Love" by D'Angelo.  Finally is the infectious and inspiring "The Light" by Common.

Listening to it again, I can't imagine a better musical epitaph.