This song was from their hit album Pyromania, which was so popular that when I brought the cassette as a gift to my classmate's birthday party (at a roller rink!) he already had two other copies. I remember how casually Ted Egan, like me an exile from public school sent to the Catholic school for greater "discipline", tossed it away once he realized it was the same damn tape other kids brought him.
Next is a live cover of The Supremes' "My World Is Empty Without You" by The Afghan Whigs. In addition to the original, I also have a cover by Jose Feliciano.
Also here: the chaotic "Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys, the Wu-Tang Clan's ferocious "Wu-Tang Ain't Nuthin' To Fuck Wit", Stevie Wonder's mystical "Bird Of Beauty", Sean Paul's bouncy "Get Busy", Duran Duran's ridiculous "Union Of The Snake", Prince's x-rated b-side "Erotic City", and Laid Back's electro funk single "White Horse". Prince gave this Danish duo a boost by having "White Horse" released on the same single as "When Doves Cry". Back to the Beastie Boys, they played host to Biz Markie's nearly incoherent cover of Elton John's "Bennie And The Jets". The story is that he stopped by their studio a bit drunk and simply took the mic.
"I'm Only Sleeping" by The Beatles is John Lennon singing over a vaguely "eastern" musical vibe. I also have a more stripped down version as well as a brief rehearsal snippet.
The Funk Brothers were the backing band for many of the biggest Motown hits. Here I have their instrumental version of "Papa Was A Rollin' Stone".
Cat Power is here twice: with her hard-strumming song "Free" and a kick-ass cover of "Yesterday Is Here" by Tom Waits. His original also appears, for comparison.
This mix is 5 years older than this post, but "Maps" by Yeah Yeah Yeahs hasn't dated a bit. I think it's beautiful and timeless. The same goes double for The Bee Gees' "How Deep Is Your Love".