Other stuff: Pixies obscurity "Havalina", the rollicking "Scrub Board" by The Trammps, Pavement's live version of "Box Elder", the ass-kicking thump of "The Hardest Button To Button" by The White Stripes, my old college staple "Reptile" by The Church, Dyke And The Blazers' funky "We Got More Soul" and Big Audio Dynamite's "Rush", which was constantly played at the campus bar I worked at way back when.
Similarly titled songs: The Velvet Underground's unusually sunny "Beginning To See The Light", Duke Ellington's lilting "I'm Beginning To See The Light (Take 2)", and Ted Hawkins's stirring Creedence Clearwater Revival cover "Long As I Can See The Light".
Also on here is the joyful "Oh Yoko" by John Lennon, Diana Ross' elegant "Theme From Mahogany (Do You Know?)", Chubby And The Turnpikes' northern soul ballad "I Know The Inside Story", The Pioneers' bouncy "Long Shot", the spooky "Cruiser" by The Cars, Clipse's driving "When The Last Time", and the soaring "Sweet Inspiration" by none other than...The Sweet Inspirations.
Bob Dylan reappears with the lovely non-album song "Lay Down Your Weary Tune". And lastly, a couple of my all time favorites, both 80s songs. "Love My Way" by The Psychedelic Furs might be my favorite song ever. It's hard to describe why, but for me it has a dark and melodic beauty. It's so incredibly romantic and yet also very melancholy. Yearning and transcendent. It is one of those songs I can never get sick of, and could play a dozen times in a row. Pat Benatar's "Shadows Of The Night" also recalls an iconic video from the video age. But it, too, is such an incredibly moving and romantic song. I know to some people her music might be tacky or bombastic. To others, of course so are The Psychedelic Furs. But I find her song so brave, so big and so inspiring. Like the other one, there are times in my life, when I just want to play it at full blast. This is one of those times.