Because after putting together a new one and blogging it, I have to return to one that falls on the same month/day from 5 years ago.
Sort of like putting on yesterday's underwear. I won't even wear the same pair of jeans twice without washing them.
Music wears better, and sometimes it's fun to see what I was digging years ago.
Here, we open with a cover of Queen & David Bowie's "Under Pressure", called "Presionando" by Fobia. Muy bueno! Next is the tense early Cure single "10:15 Saturday Night".
Songs that repeat: "Pressure Drop", the original Toots & The Maytals reggae version as well as the rockin' Clash cover. Two performances of "Mayonaise" by Smashing Pumpkins, one acoustic, one from the album.
Also here: "We Made It" from Ghostface Killah's superb Supreme Clientele album, Tiger's bizarre "Yuh Dead Now", Janet Jackson's Sly Stone-sampling "Rhythm Nation", Pixies b-side "The Thing", Maze-sampling "Joy & Pain" by Rob Base & DJ-EZ Rock, Sound Experience's funky "Boogie Woogie" and an early, non-Astral Weeks version of "Beside You" by Van Morrison.
Hall & Oates are here with a live acoustic version of "Sara Smile" as well as Nina Simone covering them with an odd but winning cover of "Rich Girl".
Dangermouse became a famous producer shortly before this mix with the leak of his Grey Album, which laid vocal tracks from Jay-Z's Black album over backing from The Beatles White album. "What More Can I say" is one of the best of these tracks.
"Song 3" is an instrumental from Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On studio sessions. It's such a sweeping, beautiful track. I wonder what it might sound like with his vocal on it. Amazing that scraps like this were left off the album. I agree with the studio vocals at the end, where someone mutters "That is a bitch, man!"
The last song on here is one of my favorites from my youth, "Unsatisfied" by The Replacements. When I had an entry level job at a huge ad agency many years ago, I heard this playing in someone's office. I peeked in and was horrified to see this song playing over a black and white commercial for Nike, with a montage of athletes trying and failing their various routines. Jumping a high beam, etc. Could this deeply meaningful song have been co-opted to sell sweat shop made shoes? Would the Replacements actually do that?
I was naive to the practice of creating rips of commercials using stock footage and preferred music, to sell a "concept". Yuck. Lame idea, lame cribbing of a great song. And fortunately, never perpetuated on the public. Or endorsed by a great band.
The Replacements remained where they belonged, in my past; unsullied by the easy cynicism and dull compromises of adult life.