Wu-Tang Clan's "Rules" is followed by 50 Cent's leaked battle track "5o Cent Dissin' Ghostface". I let Ghostface Killah have the last word with "My Guitar".
The melodic but stinging "Washington Bullets" by The Clash is followed by ex-Replacement Tommy Stinson's cover of The Clash's "Hateful".
The Band's stately "Bessie Smith" was recorded as part of the Basement Tape sessions with Bob Dylan. I have a lovely live cover of that by Norah Jones as well as "Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out" by Bessie Smith herself.
"Jesus Walks" was a big hit for Kanye West around this time. Shuggie Otis was a belated cult star rediscovered several years ago after recording the incredible 70s soul album Inspiration Information. From that, the beguiling "Aht Uh Mi Hed". "Retro Godfather" is Method Man's charming salute to old school hip hop.
"Hey Love" By The Delfonics is almost as pretty as their bigger hit "Didn't I Blow Your Mind." "The Way Young Lovers Do" by Van Morrison is so sweeping in its romanticism.
Joan Jett & The Blackhearts' "Crimson And Clover" brings back memories of junior high slow dances. It's a cover of Tommy James & The Shondells, who are here with the groovy "Crystal Blue Persuasion".
A few pretty acoustic songs: The Kinks' rarity "There Is No Life Without Love", Jack White of White Stripes with "Never Far Away", "Tell Her No" by The Zombies, and one of my favorite songs by Richie Havens, "What About Me".
The last couple songs are Rod Stewart's outstanding reading of the Etta James hit "I'd Rather Go Blind" followed by The Zombies again, with a home demo: "One Day I'll Say Goodbye". Not to be grim, but one day we all will. I have recently been very keen on the "life is short" line of thinking.