Thursday, February 19, 2009

02-19-09: Sleight Of Hand And Twist Of Fate

The Blenders were a fairly run of the mill 50s R&B group.  In 1953, they recorded "Don't Play Around With Love" and their producer instructed them to record a raunchier version called "Don't Fuck Around With Love". This was to be distributed underground to d-jays as a novelty.  It didn't really resurface again until the early 70s.  It's jarring and fun to hear such an innocent-sounding doo-wop song with such a bluntly profane lyric.

Other stuff: David Bowie's punchy "Rebel Rebel", Rhymefest's funny Michael Jackson rip "Man In The Mirror", Coco Rosie's sly "By Your Side", Buddy Holly's cover of "Love Is Strange", Camper Van Beethoven's odd "Take The Skinheads Bowling", Outkast's funky "Slum Beautiful", 2 Much's sexy "Wild Thang", 80s electro "Al-Naafiysh (The Soul)" by Hashim, Yusef Lateef's airy "Bishop School", Quasimoto's comically violent "Bullyshit" and Louis Armstrong and his Hot Five with the sweet and determined "That's When I'll Come Back To You".

The instrumental version of "Speak Softly Love" is known as the theme to The Godfather movies. The vocal version was originally by Andy Williams, but I love Scott Walker's melodramatic baritone on this take.

"Still D.R.E." heralded Dr. Dre's comeback and reunion with former protege Snoop Dogg.  I love how he says "Well, hell, Me and Snoop/ we dipping again." Then Snoop lets out a girlish little squeal. Hilarious.

I have included the album track of New Order's "Bizarre Love Triangle" before. Here I have the 12 inch single as well as covers by Devine and Statton and Occidental Brothers Dance Band.

It was amazing to be a Catholic school teenager when u2's Joshua Tree came out. It was our real bible. From that, "With Or Without You".  Since then, they have usually annoyed me (I-Tunes ads, irony-drenched press conferences at K-Mart) or bored me (pretty much everything after Zooropa).  But this is a nice little moody song. Divide & Kreate use it effectively to back Willie Nelson's "Always On My Mind", calling it "Always With You". Listening to Willie's original, I found some parts, particularly the back-up singing, a little cloying.  I much prefer his live version included here.

Finally, yet another version of Marlene Dietrich's "Falling In Love Again".  This was recorded much later in her career, 1954, and in her life than other more familiar versions.  

Her spoken word passages give the impression that she is almost too tired and old to fall in love again. Almost.