Thursday, February 26, 2009

02-26-09: I Only Pray That I Have Shown You A Brighter Day

The wise and wistful "Love Hurts" anchors this week's mix. Originally only a very minor hit for The Everly Brothers, it has been covered by dozens of artists. I have the melenacholy original as well as covers by Roy Orbison, Kim Deal & Rob P0llard, Gram Parsons with Emmylou Harris and the hit version by Nazareth, which like half a dozen other songs, reminds me of the great movie Dazed and Confused.

Also here: Q-Tip's lively "Vivrant Thing", The Emeralds' sweet "Wanna Make Him Mine", the rustic "All Night Long" By Blue Ridge Mountain Entertainers, the insistent "Can't Explain"by The Who, Lil Wayne's swaggering "Talkin About It", Wise Intelligent's buoyant "Go With Me", Lionel Richie's ebullient "You Are", and a live BBC version of "Monkey Gone To Heaven" by The Pixies.

The Rolling Stones do an early Buddy Holly cover with "Not Fade Away", followed by Buddy's own "Soft Place In My Heart".

I love the atmospheric "Among The Olive Trees" by Solo Andata, which flows nicely into Van Morrison's "Beside You". Billy Paul's "Me And Mrs. Jones" sounds better than ever, and is followed by Stevie Wonder's staggering "You And I", maybe the best of the many great love songs he wrote. Bob Dylan wrote a few good ones too, and "Just Like AWoman" takes on new meaning in Niona Simone's hands.

I have two versions of "Goodbye Girl" by Squeeze. The Uk version is the one I knew from listening tom records as a kid, but the lyrics of the "American" version are slightly different. In the third stanza, the phrases my silver razor, money in the waistcoat and my wife moved to Jersey are Americanized with my silver bracelet, money in the billfold, and my wife moved to Boston.

Finally, "You Are So Beautiful", written by Billy Preston but here in its biggest hit version by Joe Cocker. Growing up, I found this song so impossibly cheesy. But I must be getting soft in my old age. Because right now it just slays me.