Monday, May 11, 2009

05-08-08: My Smile Is My Make-Up I Wear Since My Break-Up With You

This mix from last year starts off with the cheesy but awesome "Here I Go Again" by 80s hair band Whitesnake.

The repeating song on this mix is the country standard "My Elusive Dreams", performed in its traditional country format by Tammy Wynette with David Houston, a more up-tempo soul style by Moses & Joshua Dillard and finally a reggae take by Ernest Wilson.

Steam's "Na Na Hey Hey (Kiss Him Goodbye)" became a staple at ball games in the old Comiskey Park on Chicago's south side in the 70s.  I have fond memories of the White Sox, and perhaps the Black Hebrew band called Soul Messengers, who settled in Israel after Chicago, share the same nostalgia for my Sox. Because their "Our Lord And Savior" takes the chorus of the Steam song and rewrites it in Hebrew.

Other stuff: James Brown's anguished "I Guess I'll Have To Cry, Cry, Cry (alt take)", Louis Armstrong with a more modern vocal take of his "Some Of These Days", a young Bob Marley tackling the old Dion hit "Teenager In Love", Lord Finesse's deep groove "No Gimmicks" with KRS-One, The Delegation's sweet "Oh Honey", Real Live's cocky "The Gimmicks", Chuck Berry's funny "Hey Pedro", the innocent "If I Had A Girl Like You" by Phil Spitalny's Music, a live version of Beck's "The Golden Age" by The Flaming Lips, an alternate version of George Harrison's "Isn't It A Pity", jazz great Bill Evans with a version the "Theme From M*A*S*H (Suicide Is Painless)", Dan Fogelberg's tender "Leader Of The Band", the wry "Sittin' On A Fence" by The Rolling Stones, John Lee Hooker's spare "One Way Ticket", and the magnificent "Tracks Of My Tears" by Smokey Robinson and The Miracles.

Here I Go Again Whitesnake