Monday, May 25, 2009

05-21-09: I'll Show You In Spring It's A Treacherous Thing

This week's mix, made after my brief travels, features a few different versions of The Beatles' "Day Tripper". In addition to the original, there is an alternate take of Otis Redding's frenzied cover, a bizarre reading by Mae West and a jazzy take by Herbie Mann with Tamiko Jones.

I can assure you that when I did travel, I did not stay at the "No Tell Motel" but I like this Don Covay song just the same.

I'm also down with the anti-astrology message in Jesse Anderson's Curtis Mayfield cover "Readings In Astrology" as well as "Roy Ayers' groovy ""It Ain't Your Sign, It's Your Mind".

In addition to "Day Tripper", this week's other repeating song is "The Lovecats" by The Cure. I have a cover by Tricky as well as the original.

With all The Beatles covers, I could not help put in a few songs related to The Rolling Stones.  Sugar Blue is a famous harpist who played harmonica on the original version of "Miss You".  Here I have his cover of the song, as well as a rare instrumental version of "Shatterred" by The Stones. "Each And Every Day Of The Year" is an obscure early Jagger/Richards composition that they sold to other bands instead of recording. The version here is Mick Jagger singing it with mostly session musicians.

Other stuff: Kool Keith's staccato "Maxi Curls", the mellow "Everybody I Know" by The Jesus & Mary Chain, the even more mellow and haughty "Sleepy Hollow People" by the obscure Paper Fortress, a mash up of Elvis Presley singing The Orioles' "Crying In The Chapel" backed by The Wailers playing "Satisfy My Soul", M.I.A.'s percussive collaboration with Timbaland "Come Around", old Hollywood actor Robert Mitchum singing "The Ballad of Thunder Road", Sting's jazzy "Fortress Around Your Heart", the tender "Debris" by The Faces, the gentle "Red Umbrella" by Luscious Jackson spin-off band Kostars, and a live version of "Just Friends" by Charlie Parker.

Day Tripper (alt take) Otis Redding