Monday, May 18, 2009

05-18-06: Guess I've Got That Old Trav'lin' Bone

Lots of Beatles-related material on this mix from a few years back.  There's Doris Troy's funky cover of "Get Back", Charles Wright's exuberant cover of "Here Comes The Sun", a great demo version of "A Day In The Life" and George Benson's jazzy instrumental cover of "Golden Slumbers" blended into "You Never Give Me Your Money".

There are also three versions of the jazz standard "Lover Come Back To Me" by Billie Holiday, John Coltrane and Dizzie Gillespie.

The country standard "I'm Gonna Move To The Outskirts Of Town" is here in very different versions by The Everly Brothers and Willie Nelson.

I also have an unplugged version of "Venus As A Boy" by Bjork as well as a sweet cover by Corrine Bailey Rae.  An even unlikely cover is Gnarls Barkley's "Gone Daddy Gone", also here in its original form by The Violent Femmes.

Other stuff: Styx's silly but effectively dramatic "Renegade", The Notorious B.I.G.'s sinister "Somebody's Gotta Die", Van Halen's synthesizer-driven "I'll Wait", Bobby Womack bringing grit to James Taylor's "Fire And Rain", and Creedence Clearwater Revival's soulful "Long As I Can See The Light".

Get Back Doris Troy