Saturday, October 10, 2009

10-01-09: Schoolboy's Crush And It Ain't On The Hush

This week's mix is bookended with two versions of Simon & Garfunkel's "The Sound Of Silence". The first version is the hit single with the electric guitars, the latter version is the original acoustic version.

The mix also features three versions of "The Train From Kansas City" by the Shangri-La's. In addition to the original, I have versions by The Shop Assistants and Neko Case.

I also have Nina Simone's cover of Screamin' Jay Hawkins' "I Put A Spell On You" as well as DJ Premier's remix of the original.

Other stuff: Orchestra Pucho Lopez's cover of The Beatles' "If I Fell", La Charanga '76's cover of McFadden  & Whitehead's "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now" called "No Nos Pararan", the theatrical pastiche "The Soft Parade" by The Doors, the inspiring "Find A Way" by A Tribe Called Quest, Sarah Webster Fabio's proto rap black history lesson "Glimpses", De La Soul's jazzy "I Am I Be", Jan Bradley's sweet "Mama Didn't Lie", Ghostface Killah's romantic "Stay", the sly "The Other Woman" by Ray Parker Jr., the chipper "And She Was" by Talking Heads, Marvin Gaye's deep funk "Is That Enough", and a cover of Leonard Cohen's "Suzanne" by Francoise Hardy.

The Sound Of Silence Simon & Garfunkel