After about two months into making these weekly mixes, I think this one from six years years ago is where I started to find my stride. No more explicit themes. I hadn't yet started to feature a particular artist or song.
Two songs stand out as fascinating public service announcements: Otis Redding's sweet and surprisingly funky "Announcement (From Stay In School)" and James Brown's odd and scary "King Heroin".
Many of the other songs on here are among my all time favorites. I've long requested that "A Good Man Is Hard To Find" by Tom Waits be played at my funeral.
Other stuff: Herb Alpert's moody "Rise", Pavement's melodic "Shoot The Singer (1 Sick Verse)", the placid "No Expectations" by The Rolling Stones, Gang Starr's paranoid "Conspiracy", Timmy Thomas' funky "Why Can't We Live Together", RZA's bitter "The Birth", the wise "Choice Of Colors" by The Impressions, the pristine "Marquee Moon" by Television, Joss Stone's cover of The White Stripes "Fell In Love With A Girl" called ""Fell In Love With A Boy", Laura Lee's cover of the standard "Since I Fell For You" with great spoken word intro, Joni Mitchell's blissful "Help Me", the bittersweet "Don't Know Why" by The Kostars, the tender "I'm In Love With A Girl" by Big Star, John Lennon's gentle "Hold On", an acoustic demo version of "Something" by the Beatles, and Stan Getz's collaboration with Eddie Sauter on the wistful "I Remember When".