Wednesday, June 10, 2009

06-01-06: Buy The Sky And Sell The Sky

This mix from a a few years back is anchored by unusual versions of Disney standards. In addition to "Zip A Dee Doo Dah" by both The Jackson 5 and Sun Ra I have both Sonny Rollins and Stevie Wonder performing "When You Wish Upon A Star". The live version of Paul Westerberg's "World Class Fad" on here contains a snatch of the latter song.

Among the other cover songs on here a favorite is Marvin Gaye's rip through Tom Jones' "IOt's Not Unusual".  There is a little bit of studio chatter before the song, where he says "Roll the tape, I'm gonna kill this one."  That he does, cutting through the cheese of the original.

Other stuff: Desmond Dekker's classic "Israelites", Bobby Womack's live cover of Nilsson's "Everybody's Talkin'", The Notorious B.I.G.'s ominous "What's Beef?", Mos Def's finger-wagging "Beef", Pixies B-side "Santo", Duke Ellington's exuberant "Swamp Fire", Kool Keith's hypnotic "Uphill....Strange", the deeply soulful Staple Singers cover "Why Am I Treated So Bad?" by The Sweet Inspirations, R.E.M.'s eco-friendly "Fall On Me", Rod Steart's take on teh traditional "Man Of Constant Sorrow", the silly "She Was Hot" by The Rolling Stones, the rhythmic "Swamp" by Talking Heads, the gorgeous "So Unsusal" by Curtis Mayield with The Impressions, the groovy instrumental "united" by Music Makers, J Dilla's snippet "U-Luv", Jimmy Cliff's sweet Cate Stevens cover "Wild World" and original Motown house band The Funk Brothers with an instrumental take of Marvin Gaye's "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)".

Israelites Desmond Dekker & The Aces