Thursday, June 11, 2009

06-03-04: Someday My Name And Hers Are Going To Be The Same

It's no secret that The Replacements were huge fans of cult 70s group Big Star.  They even wrote a song for the lead singer, "Alex Chilton". Their live cover of "I'm In Love With A Girl" departs from the gentle acoustic of Big Star to a raucous and sloppy version that injects new lyrics like "I'm in love with a slut." The sentiment remains the same.

The rest of this mix from five years ago seems all over the map. Following The Replacements is Hole's bratty "Plump", Lynn Anderson's mildly defiant " I Never Promised You A Rose Garden", a love version of Led Zeppelin's "Over The Hills And Far Away", Bull Moose Jackson's suggestive "I Want A Bowlegged Woman", and an alternate version of Bob Dylan's "Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window?"

Liz Phair's catchy "Whip-Smart" is accented with jungle noises, so of course on this mix it's followed by the ebullient "Animal Farm" by The Kinks. Next: the sweet "bus Stop" by The Hollies, Cibo Matto's Soundgarden cover "Black Hole Sun", the wistful "under The Milky Way" by The Church, Richie Havens covering The Beatles' "Strawberry Fields Forever", Echo & The Bunnymen's haunting "the Killing Moon", RZA's aggressive "Mantis", a fun mash-up by Soulwax of Salt 'N Pepa's "Push It" with "No Fun" by The Stooges, the harrowing "Dirt" by The Stooges, Bob Dylan's sloppy collaboration with The Band "On A Rainy Afternoon", a live version of "You Are The Sunshine Of My Life" by Stevie Wonder, and Neil Young's melancholic "Out On The Weekend".

I'm In Love With A Girl (live at The Uptown) The Replacements