Saturday, June 20, 2009

06-14-07: Manhattan Keeps On Makin' It, Brooklyn Keeps On Takin' It

Looking back at this mix from a couple years ago, it was at first a bit of a mystery as to why there were so many songs with space or travel themes.  But then I realized that around this time I was preparing for my first trip to the south of France.  So, there's Elton John's "Rocket Man", David Bowie's "Space Oddity", Kool Keith's "Rockets On the Battlefield", a live version of Marvin Gaye's "Flyin' High (In The Friendly Sky)", and Pavement's "Transport Is Arranged".

Stretching the theme of remote travel is Tom Waits' "Telephone Call From Istanbul" and the very rare early 20th century "Somewhere In Hawaii" by The Waikiki Hawaiian Orchestra.

Staying put on the ground, other songs include: a cover of Curtis Mayfield's "Move On Up" by The Flying LIzards, KRS-One leading Boogie Down Productions' battle track "The Bridge Is Over", the celebratory "Summertime" by DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince, the groovy "Shing-A-Ling" Time" by Helen Gamboa, Olivia Newton-John's sexy "Physical",  Fats Domino's sweet "I Want To Walk You Home", Chico O'Farrill's brassy "Tierra Va Tembla", Clipse's witty "Ma, I Don't Love Her" with Faith Evans, Eddie Kendricks' string-laden "Body Talk", and a very charming a cappella cover of The Beach Boys' "God Only Knows" by Petra Haden.

Finally, Marvin Gaye made "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" a standard, but on this mix I have two very different versions by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles and Creedence Clearwater Revival.

Rocket Man (I Think It's Going To Be A Long, Long Time) Elton John