Wednesday, June 10, 2009

06-02-05: I Think I Know Some Things We Never Outgrow

De La Soul's pop hit "Me, Myself & I" heavily samples Funkadelic's "(Not Just) Knee Deep". Both are on this mix from four years ago.

Other stuff: James Brown's public service announcement "Fight Against Drug Abuse", The Clash's public service announcement with guitar "Know Your Rights", GZA's percussive "Knock, Knock", Big Daddy Kane's swaggering "Show & Prove" with a young Jay-Z, an even younger Shyheim and Ol' Dirty Bastard.

Pink Floyd's "Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)" was a spooky hit song from my childhood. To be ten years old in a strict Catholic school listening to the radio blare of a children's chorus singing "We don't need no education" was thrilling.  "The Happiest Days Of Our Lives" is simply the ranting prologue with helicopter sound effects.

Gorillaz' "Dirty Harry" also employs a children's chorus.  In high school, I organized a "battle of the bands" and one of our ideas that fell by the wayside was bringing in a children's chorus to sing a medley of songs, like the Pink Floyd hit, that had children's choruses.

Perhaps my inclusion of The Pretenders hit "Kid" after the two songs above was my idea of humor. I think it's probably the most gorgeous song Chrissie Hynde ever wrote.

Next is a little medley of live songs: Bob Marley & The Wailers with the brooding "Burnin'' & Lootin'", an angry performance of "Know Your Rights" by The Clash, and Pete Townshend performing a solo acoustic version of The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" at The Secret Policeman's Ball.

Wrapping up the mix is Grant Green's jazzy instrumnental version of "A Day In The Life" by The Beatles, John Lennon's gentle "oh My LOve", William Bell's pleading "I Forgot To Be Your Lover", a liver cover of The Five Stairsteps' "O-o-h Child" by Laura Nyro and Labelle, and a cover of Bob Dylan's "Paths Of Victory" by Cat Power.

Fight Against Drug Abuse [Public Service Announcement] James Brown