This week's mix is bookended with two Buddy Holly songs. His hit "Peggy Sue" is well known. Less well known is a follow-up song called "Peggy Sue Got Married". That was produced in a similar rocking style, but recently some rarities were released and here I've included an acoustic alternate take to that song.
"Tell Me" is one of the great lost Bob Dylan songs of the 80s, and turned up on his first "official" bootleg compilation instead of a proper album. Of course, Dylan fans are fanatic and there is an alternate fan-produced companion set to those "official" bootlegs. From that, I have an alternate, more "bootleg" version of "Tell Me". The officially released version has cleaner production and back-up singing. But I prefer the twangier guitar on this take. I also find the difference in the lyrics between the two fascinating.
The only repeating song this week is My Bloody Valentine's dreamy "Lose My Breath", given a subdued cover by jazz pianist Geoff Keezer.
I heard War's "Slippin' Into Darkness" while out to dinner earlier this week with a friend, and remembered just how great this song is.
Other stuff: a recently recorded live version of Fleetwood Mac's "Sara" by Stevie Nicks, Kool Keith's inspired pairing with Sadat X on "Static", Moody Scott's 70s funk work out "I Don't Dig No Phoney", Joe Bataan's confident cover of Smokey Robinson's & The Miracles' "More Love", Stevie Wonder's mellow "Creepin"", Peter Gabriel's uplifting "Solsbury Hill", Al Jolson's sunny "There's A Rainbow 'Round My Shoulder", Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde's Tom Tom Club-sampling "Genius Rap", Eels' layered "Trouble With Dreams", a strings version of "Unravel" by Bjork, an all-vocal mix of "A Day In The Life" by The Beatles, Eddy Arnold's hopeful "I'll Hold You In My Heart ('Til I Hold You In My Arms)", and Rod Stewart's tender "You're In My Heart (The Final Acclaim)".