Monday, December 31, 2012

09-27-12: Despite All My Rage I'm Still Just A Rat In A Cage

"I Pity The Poor Immigrant" appears on Bob Dylan's album John Wesley Harding, which was released a few days before the end of 1967.  This week's mix features covers by Gene Clark and Marion Williams as well as the original.

"Fortunate Son" was a hit for Creedence Clearwater Revival in the waning days of 1969, at the height of the Vietnam War. This week features covers by Cat Power and Sleater-Kinney performing live as well as the original.

One other song repeats this week: the album and demo version of "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" by Smashing Pumpkins.

"Original Untitled Ballad (To Her Ladyship)" was left of John Coltrane's 1962 album Ole Coltrane, but eventually released in 1970.  It features Eric Dolphy on flute, as well McCoy Tyner on piano, Elvin Jones on drums and Freddie Hubbard on trumpet.

The rest: Showbiz & A.G.'s fierce "Represent", the chipper "Take A Trip" by The Latin Blues Band featuring Luis Aviles, EPMD's cautionary "Total Kaos", the early Hall & Oates ballad "You're Much Too Soon", Kendrick Lamar's languid "Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe", Arnold Blair's sweet "Trying To Get Next To You", Jen Lekman's atmospheric "Autumn Leaves", the claypso-tinged "I'm On An Island" by The Kinks and Bernard Herrmann's haunting score to the film Taxi Driver called "I Still Can't Sleep/They Cannot Touch Her (Betsy's Theme)".

Bullet With Butterfly Wings                                    Smashing Pumpkins
Fortunate Son (live)                                                 Sleater-Kinney
Represent                                                                 Showbiz & A.G.
Take A Trip                                             The Latin Blues Band ft. Luis Aviles
Total Kaos                                                               EPMD
You're Much Too Soon                                          Hall & Oates
Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe                                       Kendrick Lamar
Trying To Get Next To You                                   Arnold Blair
I Pity The Poor Immigrant                                      Gene Clark
Maple Leaves (EP ver)                                            Jens Lekman
I'm On An Island                                                    The Kinks
I Pity The Poor Immigrant                                       Bob Dylan
Fortunate Son                                          Creedence Clearwater Revival
Bullet With Butterfly Wings (demo)                        Smashing Pumpkins
I Pity The Poor Immigrant                                      Marion Williams
Fortunate Son                                                           Cat Power
Original Untitled Ballad (To Her Ladyship)                         John Coltrane
I Still Can't Sleep/ They Cannot Touch Her (Betsy's Theme)       Bernard Herrmann