Monday, December 31, 2012

11-15-12: Load Up On Guns, Bring Your Friends

"It Never Entered My Mind" is a show tune from the 1940 Rodgers and Hart musical Higher and Higher that soon became a jazz standard. This week's mix features versions by Frank Sinatra, Peggy Lee, Chet Baker, Stan Getz and The Miles Davis Quintet.

"I Can't Help It (I'm Still In Love With You" is a 1951 b side by Hank Williams. This week features versions by Johnny Cash, Cat Power, Willie Nelson and Isaac Hayes as well as the original.

One other song repeats this week: Karen Dalton's "Something On Your Mind", with a cover by Wall.

Jens Lekman's "Rocky Dennis' Farewell Song" samples "You Are Everything" by The Stylistics.

The rest: a cover of The Beatles' "Something" by James Brown, Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth's upbeat "Act Like You Know", the Vatican-themed "God's Banker" by DJ Muggs with Sick Jacken and Cynic, the melodic "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana, Tim Dog's fierce "Dog's Gonna Getcha", the  playful "Cockeyed Jenny" by Barton Brothers, the elegant "Imagine The Swan"  by The Zombies and the Wilco album outtake "Venus Stop The Train".

I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You)                 Johnny Cash
It Never Entered My Mind                                               Frank Sinatra
Something On Your Mind                                               Wall
Something                                                                        James Brown
Act Like You Know                              Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth
It Never Entered My Mind                                               Peggy Lee
I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You)                 Hank Williams
God's Banker                                       DJ Muggs ft. Sick Jacken & Cynic
Smells Like Teen Spirit                                                    Nirvana
Dog's Gonna Getcha                                                        Tim Dog
Cockeyed Jenny                                                               Barton Brothers
You Are Everything                                                         The Stylistics
Rocky Dennis' Farewell Song                                          Jens Lekman
Imagine The Swan                                                          The Zombies
It Never Entered My Mind                                               Chet Baker
I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You)                 Cat Power
Something On Your Mind                                               Karen Dalton
It Never Entered My Mind                                               Stan Getz
I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You)                 Willie Nelson
Venus Stop The Train                                                      Wilco
I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You)                 Isaac Hayes
It Never Entered My Mind                                               Miles Davis Quintet