Monday, December 31, 2012

10-04-12: I Put My Trust In You

"King Of The Road" was originally written and recorded by country singer Roger Miller in 1964. This week's mix features covers by Dean Martin and The Clash as well as the original.

"Born To Be Blue" is a jazz standard written by Mel Torme in 1946.  This week features versions by Chet Baker, Ray Charles and Stan Getz.

One other song repeats across the mix: "Far East Man", written by George Harrison and Ron Wood, with different versions appearing on their 1974 solo albums. Wood's version includes Harrison, Harrison's version does not include Wood but does feature Billy Preston on keyboards.

"He Needs Me" was written by Harry Nilsson for the 1980 Robert Altman film Popeye, and features the actress Shelley Duvall on vocals.

The rest: a cover of Hall & Oates' "She's Gone" by The Bird And The Bee, Joy Division's rhythmic "Means To An End" Pavement's album outtake "I Love Perth", Big Boi's odd "Thom Pettie" featuring Little Dragon and Killer Mike, Ada Richards' ebullient "I'm Drunk & I'm Real High (In The Spirit Of God)", EPMD's 1989 single "So Wat Cha Sayin'", the Paul Weller outtake "Ends Of The Earth", Johnny Bristol's melodic "Love Takes Tears", Richie Rich's mellow "Let's Ride" Eddie Kendrick's forlorn "The Newness Is Gone" and the unedited version of Nina Simone's Martin Luther King tribute "Why? The King Of Love Is Dead".

King Of The Road                           Roger Miller
Far East Man                                   George Harrison
She's Gone                                       The Bird And The Bee
He Needs Me                                   Harry Nilsson ft. Shelley Duvall
Born To Be Blue                             Chet Baker
King Of The Road                           Dean Martin
Means To An End                           Joy Division
I Love Perth                                     Pavement
Thom Pettie                                      Big Boi ft. Little Dragon & Killer Mike
I'm Drunk & I'm Real High (In The Spirit Of God)       Ada Richards
So Wat Cha Sayin'                            EPMD
Far East Man                                     Ronnie Wood
King Of The Road                            The Clash
Ends Of The Earth                            Paul Weller
Love Takes Tears                             Johnny Bristol
Let's Ride                                          Richie Rich
The Newness Is Gone                      Eddie Kendricks
Born To Be Blue                              Ray Charles
Why? The King Of Love Is Dead (unedited ver)          Nina Simone
Born To Be Blue                             Stan Getz