"I Can't Give Back The Love I Feel For You" was the first single by Stevie Wonder's future wife Syreeta Wright, a Motown secretary billed as "Rita" Wright for her early 1968 debut single. This week's mix features a rare version by Diana Ross & The Supremes as well as Dusty Springfield's take.
"I've Got Dreams To Remember" by Otis Redding was also released in 1968, as a track on the second of his posthumous albums. This week features a practice take as well as the official studio take and a cover by Toots & The Maytals.
"Abilene" was a 1963 single first recorded by George Hamilton IV. This week features a rare cover by a young Waylon Jennings as well as the original.
Jay-Z's "Thank You" is a Kanye West production that samples Marcos Valle 1970 track "Ele E Ela".
Heavyweight boxing champion Joe Frazier also had a recording career in the 1970s. This mix includes his "If You Go, Stay Gone" as well as Dennis Alcpalone's tribute to the boxer, "Joe Frazier".
"We Kiss In A Shadow" is from the 1944 Rodgers & Hammerstein musical The King and I. This week features a version recorded in 1966 by Sonny Rollins, performing with The John Coltrane Quartet drummer Elvin Jones and bassist Jimmy Garrison.
The rest: Public Enemy's fierce "Burn Hollywood Burn", John Mellencamp's Rolling Stones pastiche "Crumblin' Down", Bob Dylan's smitten "Never Say Goodbye", the anguished "When We Two Parted" by The Afghan Whigs, the Pavement outtake "Chevy (Old To Begin)", the bitter "Everyone Thinks He Looks Daft" by The Wedding Present, Binary Star's defiant "Reality Check", the wry "Ain't Got Money To Pay For The Drink" by George Zimmerman & The Thrills, Don Covay's pleading "I Don't Think I Can Make It" and a cover of The Rolling Stones' "Midnight Mile" by Lee Fields.
I've Got Dreams To Remember Otis Redding
I Can't Give Back The Love I Feel For You Rita Wright
If You Go, Stay Gone Joe Frazier
Joe Frazier Dennis Alcpalone
Thank You Jay-Z
Ele E Ela Marcos Valle
Burn Hollywood Burn Public Enemy
Crumblin' Down John Mellencamp
Abilene George Hamilton IV
Never Say Goodbye Bob Dylan
When We Two Parted The Afghan Whigs
Chevy (Old To Begin) Pavement
Everyone Thinks He Looks Daft The Wedding Present
Reality Check Binary Star
I Can't Give Back The Love I Feel For You Dusty Springfield
I've Got Dreams To Remember Toots & The Maytals
Abilene Waylon Jennings
Ain't Got Money To Pay For The Drink George Zimmerman & The Thrills
I Don't Think I Can Make It Don Covay
I Can't Give Back The Love I Feel For You Diana Ross & The Supremes
I've Got Dreams To Remember (demo) Otis Redding
We Kiss In A Shadow Sonny Rollins
Moonlight Mile Lee Fields