"Dark As A Dungeon" was written by Merle Travis and became a rallying cry for coal miners everywhere. Here, in addition to his version, I have versions by Johnny Cash, Cisco Houston and Sparklehorse.
Other stuff: an alternate mix of Marvin Gaye's yearning "Distant Lover", UGK's swaggering "International Players Anthem" featuring Outkast, Carl Smith with The Carter Sisters and Mother Maybelle on the spiritual "The Blood That Stained The Old Rugged Cross", Freddie Hubbard's reflective reading of Jimmy Webb's "Wichita Lineman", Creedence Clearwater Revival's wistful "Lodi", then Ohio Players covering CCR with "Proud Mary", Bobbie Houston's soulful cover of Bread's "Make It With You", DJ Muggs' remix of GZA's "Smothered Mate", James Brown's funky "Escape-ism", Mick Boogie and Terry Urban's remix of "If You See Me" by Notorious B.I.G. featuring Lil' Wayne, the coy "Sophisticated Boom Boom" by 60s girl group The Goodies, a buoyant remix of "Soul Flower" by The Pharcyde, Desmond Dekker's peaceful "It Mek", and the punchy "Like An Angel" by The Mighty Lemon Drops.
Rounding out the mix is the spooky "Hey You" by Pink Floyd, an equally ghostly live take of "Cowgirl In The Sand" by Neil Young, as well as a spare and gorgeous cover of his "Albuquerque" by Gillian Welch.
Finally, there is a perverse and brilliant mash up by Malcolm McClaren called "Love Will..." that mixes Captain & Tenille's sunny "Love Will Keep Us Together" with Joy Division's anguished "Love Will Tear Us Apart". When I listen to it now, it works musically, but I struggle with which of these choruses will turn out to be true.