Thursday, April 2, 2009

04-01-04: Would It Help To Fall In Love A Little Slower

"Wonderboy" by The Kinks was cited by John Lennon as one of his very favorite songs. No wonder, it sounds like something he might have written.

Speaking of The Beatles, two George Harrison compositions are on here: a demo take of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and a great cover of "Something" by Junior Walker & The All Stars.

Other stuff: the old Elvis Presley hit "A Fool Such As I" in a jaunty take by Bob Dylan, the slinky "The What" by The Notorious B.I.G., Big Star's poppy "Thank You Friends", the witty "Androgynous" by The Replacements, De La Soul's Steely Dan-sampling "Eye Know (The Know It All Mix)", Van McCoy's chipper "Soul Improvisations", the blues standard "St. James Infirmary Blues" by The White Stripes, Neil Young's yearning "Barstool Blues", Ike & Tina Turner's slightly unsettling version of The Rolling Stones' "Under My Thumb", Iggy Pop & The Stooges' powerful "I Wanna Be Your Dog", and Ol' Dirty Bastard's harrowing "I Can't Wait" with a sample from the theme from 80s television show TJ Hooker.

Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazelwood's spooky 60s duet "Some Velvet Morning" is here as well as a trancey cover by Primal Scream, with backing vocals from Kate Moss.

I love Rod Stewart's countrified cover of Bob Dylan's "Mama, You Been On My Mind".  Bringing the mix to a mellow end are the five songs that follow:  Liz Phair's haunting "Shane", Al B Sure's silky "Nite And Day", RZA's atmospheric soundtrack work for the film Ghost Dog "Flying Birds", Little River Band's sweet "Reminiscing" and the piano-driven "The Last" by The Replacements.  It is the last song on their last album and was written about either the end of the band or about Paul Westerberg's decision to quit drinking. Or both.