This mix kicks off with the opening of a James Brown concert, and his performance of "It's A New Day".
There are two versions of Eric Donaldson's reggae classic "Cherry Oh Baby": the original and a nice sloppy cover by The Rolling Stones.
Other stuff: Quasimoto's cryptic "Garvey", Max Roach's percussive "Garvey's Ghost", Little Richard's frantic "Tutti-Frutti", Hall & Oates' playful "Private Eyes", the uplifting "You Only Live Once"by The Imperial Wonders, the funky "Pass The Hatchet" by Roger & The Gypsies, Organized Konfusion's searching "Why", George Clinton's goofy "Atomic Dog", a remix of 50 Cent's suggestive "Candy Shop" with The Notorious B.I.G., Shirley & Lee's joyful "Let The Good Times Roll", the buoyant "A Message To You Rudie" by The Specials, the rhythmic "Listen Here" by Valorie Keys, and Joy Zipper's odd "Check Out My New Jesus".
I think the rare Yo La Tengo track "Magnet" is possibly the most gorgeous song they've ever recorded. That leads into a mellow mini-suite of a demo of The Velvet Underground's peaceful "I Found A Reason" and the hushed "The Girl From Back Then" by Kings Of Convenience.
The mix then ends with some spiritual music from Johnny Cash with The Carter Family singing "Keep On The Sunnyside", The Rev. T.E. Weems' sermon-song "If I Have A Ticket Lord Can I Ride?", and Tartit's spellbinding "Ikbayene".
The last song is the sweet ballad "The Echo" by The Epsilons, who were proteges of Otis Redding.