Sinead O'Connor's version of "Nothing Compares 2 U" was such a huge hit when I was growing up. The spelling should be a giveaway, but many people don't know it was written by Prince. A few years later, he recorded a live version with Rosie Gaines, included on his greatest hits, which is also here. I have another version by the cult jazz vocalist Jimmy Scott as well.
The other repeating song from this week's mix is Tyrone Davis' "Can I Change My Mind", also done reggae by Alton Ellis.
Other stuff: Method Man's tough and tender "All I need", Mr. David Viner's stripped down Clash cover "Should I Stay Or Should I Go?", the original version of "Honky Tonk Women" called "Country Honk" by The Rolling Stones, Black Heat's energetic Beatles cover "Drive My Car", Pacific Gas & Electric's take of the standard "Stagolee", MF Doom's breezy "Go With The Flow", Paul McCartney's poppy "Listen To What The Man Said", Eddie Hazel's funky Beatles cover "I Want You (She's So Heavy)", RZA's spacey "Just A Lil' Dude (Who Dat Ovah There)"with Q-Tip and Free Murder, Dire Straits' groovy "Sultans Of Swing", an early version of "Sweet Jane" by The Velvet Underground, and a cover of Jimmy Cliff's "Many Rivers To Cross" by Harry Nilsson with heavy production help from his drinking buddy John Lennon.