Friday, April 17, 2009

04-17-08: She's Got Two Worlds She Can Pick

Lucky days pepper this mix from last year, with Tom Waits' "Lucky Day Overture" and "Lucky Day" as well as Judy Garland's own "Lucky Day".

The cover of the last Replacement's album had two wet dogs in a rainy alley, with a sign that said have you seen Lucky?  That album came out while I was in college and evokes so many memories of that time.  The first song on there is "Merry Go Round", I also have a live version of that by former Replacement Paul Westerberg.

Other stuff: America's winsome "Sister Golden Hair", Emilio Santiago's groovy "Bananeira", the loping "Blowing Down" by Digable Planets, Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell's sweet "Two Can Have A Party", Shirley Scott's Jackson 5 cover "I Want You Back", Michael Jackson's utopian "Man In The Mirror", Toumani Diabete's Symmetric Orchestra with the sweeping "Single", a Talking Heads outtake called "Unison", Bobby McFerrin's cover of The Beatles' "Drive My Car", Brigitte Bardot's sexy duest with Serge Gainsbourg "Ford Mustang", the touching "Hard Life" by Marlene Webber, Tupac Shakur's unlikely Mr. Mister interpolation "Until The End Of Time", the frantic "Takin' Retards To The Zoo", and Mazzy Star's gorgeous "Fade Into You".

The old blues song "The Girl I Love, She Got Long Curly Hair" is here as well as a more modern take by Led Zeppelin called "The Girl I Love She Got Long Black Wavy Hair".

Finally, Hank Williams' "Lost On The River" is here as a duet with Audrey Williams and a solo piece, as well as a moving cover by zydeco musician C.J. Chenier recorded post-Katrina.