Thursday, April 23, 2009

04-23-09: Esta Un Decision Me Molesta

"Should I Stay Or Should I Go?" is one of the rare Clash songs sung by Mick Jones, but like "Train In Vain", it is one of their most famous.  I love Joe Strummer's apparently Ecuadorian Spanish back-up vocals.

Next: Bjork's menacing "Army Of Me", an instrumental version of The Geto Boys' "Mind Playing Tricks On Me", an alternate take on Marvin Gaye's suggestive "You Sure Love To Ball", Jay-Z's snide "Say Hello", and Major Harris' heartfelt "Love Won't Let Me Wait".

The new MF Doom album just came out. From that, "Angelz" features a loop of the old Charlie's Angels television show theme, with guest vocals from Tony Starks, a.k.a. Ghostface Killah.

Beatles related:  The Faces with Rod Stewart covering Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed", Sinead O'Connor covering John Lennon's "Mind Games", and John's lead vocals on The Beatles' "Help!".

I have Beck's loping "Rowboat" on here as well as a cover by Johnny Cash. Frank Black sort of covers himself with a song called "Velvety", which redoes an old Pixies b-side called "Velvety Instrumental Version".  The lyrics were worth the wait.

The rest:  the world-weary "You've Got Your Troubles" by The Fortunes, John & Jackie's suggestive rockabilly "Little Girl", Van Halen's exuberant "Jump", Clipse's newly leaked "Kinda Like A Big Deal" featuring Kanye West, Cliff Carlisle's odd "Mouse's Ear Blues", the lovely "Isfahan" by Duke Ellington from his Far East Suite and the corny but evocative "Faithfully" by Journey.

Should I Stay Or Should I Go? The Clash