Thursday, April 9, 2009

04-09-09: We Could Have Fun Just Foolin' Around

This week's mix is anchored by the wistful standard "I Didn't Know What Time It Was", in versions by Peggy Lee, Billie Holiday, Ray Charles and Charlie Parker.

The other recurring song is Merle Haggard's outlaw anthem "Mama Tried", which gets taken in opposite directions by The Everly Brothers and The Grateful Dead.

Other stuff: the enduring "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" by The Rolling Stones, an alternate mix of Marvin Gaye's loose "Life Is For Learning", Q-Tip's spacey "Shaka", Black Moon's funky "Headz Ain't  Redee", Maria Muldaur's mellow "Midnight At The Oasis", Aretha Franklin's heartfelt cover of Smokey Robinson's "Tracks Of My Tears", Cat Power's pretty "Willie", Gram Parsons' affectionate "She", 5o Cent's swaggering "Straight To The Bank", MF Grimm's paranoid "Vultures", Jackson Browne's mournful "The Pretender", Smashing Pumpkins covering Depeche Mode's "Never Let Me Down Again", the exuberant "I Could Spend The Day" by The Zombies, and a rough and probably drunken take of  The Rolling Stones'"Let's Spend The Night Together" by Keith Richards and his guitar.

I Didn't Know What Time It Was Peggy Lee