Thursday, April 30, 2009

04-30-09: Between The Two Of Us Guys You Know I Love You More

This week's mix begins with the drum shot of Marvin Gaye's hit single "I Heard It Through The Grapevine". Not much else to say about this song except that it never gets old.

Gudbuy T'Jane was an early 7os hit for the British glam rock band Slade. In addition to that I have versions by hair metal band Britney Fox, The Replacements and the Yo La Tengo offshoot band Condo Fucks.

Other stuff: A Tribe Called Quest's buoyant "Check The Rhime", the harrowing "Love Hurtz" by Da' Brats From Da' Ville, the theatrical "Weepin' And Cryin'" by The Griffin Brothers Orchestra, Ultramagnetic MCs' menacing "Watch Your Back", Modern English's eternal prom theme "I Melt With You", the melodic "Cherry Came Too" by The Jesus & Mary Chain, and "Let's Do It Again" by The Staple Singers.  This was produced by Curtis Mayfield for the soundtrack to a film of the same name starring Sidney Poitier and Bill Cosby.

Lou Reed's "Crazy Feeling" features some great guitar and doorbell sound effects.  Next is Bobby Womack's gritty but sweet "I Can Understand It", Francoise Hardy's rocking "Le Temps De L'Amour", and the swinging "Dandy" by the Kinks.

The last few songs this week flow particularly well, I believe.  Charles Mingus' dense "Hearts' Beat And Shades In Physical Embraces" gives way to the haunting "Ghost Dog Theme" by the RZA.  Finally, a demo of The Zombies' "Kind Of Girl" gives way to the retro pop of Patrick Cleandenim's "Until You Said I'm Gone", followed by the lush and melancholic "Diamonds Are Forever [Tiffany And Bond]" by John Barry.  

I Heard It Through The Grapevine Marvin Gaye