Sunday, March 1, 2009

03-01-07: Love Is That Mountain We Must Climb

Pacific Gas & Electric's Vietnam war anthem "Are You Ready?" kicks off this mix from a couple years ago, and is aptly followed by "Foreign Policy", which is Cousin Cole's mashing of "B.O.B." by Outkast over The Cure's "Killing An Arab".

Things move along with the punky "Trash" by The New York Dolls, then some of the music that inspired them, early Rolling Stones, with "You Better Move On". That song was a cover of an early 60s Arthur Alexander song.  He is here with the sweet "Soldier Of Love".

Then, a soulful cover by Lee Moses of the Mama & Papas hit "California Dreaming". Which segues into a clip of Henry Mancini's hypnotic soundtrack work for The Return Of The Pink Panther movie, "Here's Looking At You". "Brooklyn Hard Rock" by Thirstin Howl boasts an insane cockney hook for a chorus. "It's The Same Old Song" by The Four Tops is a catchy 60s throwback that leads nicely into J Dilla's re-working of James Brown's "It's A Man's Man's Man's World", called "This Is Dilla's World".

There are two versions of the distrubing "He Hit Me (It Felt Like A Kiss)", the original Phil Spector production by The Crystals and a live cover by Hole.  In between: Kelis' swirling "Young, Fresh N' New", Hi-Tek's percussive "March" featuring Busta Rhymes, and Lou Reed's blithe "New Sensations".  Many years ago, I remember putting that on a mix tape for a girl, full of otherwise more romantic songs.  I still laugh as I remember her reaction, something like, "what the hell was that?"  That was always the one I fast forwarded through.  Easy to understand why all these years later, but I still like the detached cool vibe of Lou's little story.

"Talkin' To Your Mama" is sly blues by the incomparable Blind Willie McTell.  And "Blind Willie McTell" is the heartbreaking story of his life, as told by Bob Dylan. It's one of his best songs of the 80s, inexplicably left off any official album.

Emm Gryner's Def Leppard cover "Pour Some Sugar On Me" is either really funny or really touching.  I am still a sucker for Def Leppard's ballad "Hysteria" which was ubiquitous in dorm rooms when I was in college.

Finally, Iron & Wine does a lovely cover of The Four Tops' "It's The Same Old Song", and then "Give Me Just A Little More Time" by Chairman Of The Board. It's such an odd, happy little song. The singer is actually trying to tell the girl to wait before they get too involved, physically or perhaps otherwise. He sees a bigger future ahead of them.

This one actually did very recently make it onto a mix for a girl.  And I think it was better received than that Lou Reed song so many years ago.