Friday, March 20, 2009

03-20-08: Your Head Will Collapse If There's Nothing In It

The Pixies song "Where Is My Mind?" gets three different treatments on this mix. One is a stripped down cover from Emmy The Great. The others are two radically different versions from the man who wrote it: Frank Black.  One is a live acoustic version and the other a layered, weird take that makes you fear the titular question.

Other songs that repeat on here: Bread's sweet "Make It With You", also in a reggae version by Little Roy"; and Van Morrison's yearning "I Wanna Roo You (Scottish Derivative)", covered by Jackie DeShannon.

Other stuff:  Procul Harum's dramatic "A Whiter Shade Of Pale", the Sly Stone-written ""I'm Just Like You" by 6ix, Andre 3000 with Big Boi on the spacey "Spottieottiedogaliscious", Quasimoto's groovy "The Unseen", Peggy Lee in a bizarre duet with actor Jim Backus in character for "Mister Magoo Does The Cha-Cha", DJ Muggs' "wu-Tang vs. Blondie" which mashes up "Da Mystery Of Chessboxin'" with "Rapture", Indeep's bouncy "Last Night A D.J. Saved My Life", Estelle's giddy "American Boy" featruing Kanye West, The Honey Cone's assertive "Want Ads", Al Green's Hank Williams  cover "I'm So LOnesome I Could Cry", T. Rex's languorous "Mystic Lady", and a sweet cover of The Clash's "Lost In The Supermarket" by the female Japanese band Petty Booka.

The last three songs mash up singer and writer well. First, Johnny Cash covers Bob Dylan's "Girl From The North Country" with Joni  Mitchell. Then, Bob covers Joni's "Big Yellow Taxi". Finally, Richie Havens does a magnificent cover of Bob's "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue".

Makes me wish for once that I was part of the Woodstock generation.