Tuesday, March 10, 2009

03-10-05: With Latin Written On It That Says It's Hard To Give A Shit These Days

Louis Armstrong kicks off this mix with his breezy take of "Everybody's Talking". He sounds like he was born to sing this song.

Next:  Smashing Pumpkins' hopeful "Today", Rilo Kiley's pretty "With Arms Outstretched", Teena Marie's funky "I'm A Sucker For Your Love", 70s soul obscurity "Let's Get Nasty" by Chuck Stephens, Kanye West's funny collaboration with Talib Kweli and Common on "Get 'Em High", and Blonde Redhead's layered "Elephant Woman".

"Old Age" is a non-album Nirvana track released years after Kurt Cobain's death.  "Rock Star" is off his wife's first album with Hole.  These are followed by two late 80s rockers sung by rapidly aging men: "Romeo Had Juliette" by Lou Reed and Keith Richards' "Take It So Hard".

"Lickupon" is from MF Doom character Vicktor Vaughn. Equally colorful is "Lord Only Knows" by Beck, off what I think is still his finest album, Odelay.  "Try Me Little Girl" is from the Basement Tape Sessions by Bob Dylan and The Band.

It's rumored that Mick Jagger wrote the Rolling Stones track "Sweet Black Angel" for militant activist Angela Davis.  Here, it's followed by Fitzroy Sterling's reggae cover of George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord".  George himself is next with his groovy "I Dig Love".

The next song on here is the "original" take of Bob Dylan's "Tangled Up In Blue".  The lyrics are a little different than they are on the official album version, but what I enjoy the most is the more wistful, quiet tone of this recording.

This leads into the final three songs on here: a cover of the old blues standard "Driftin' Blues" by Ray Charles gives way to another cover, Norah Jones doing a great version of Roxy Music's "More Than This".  After that, the mix ends with the brief and mournful Tom Waits instrumental "Fawn".

I'm just a sucker for theremin.