Wednesday, March 25, 2009

03-25-04: But There's No Way I Can Compare Those Scenes To This Affair

The Peel session version of "Here" by Pavement adds a nice kick of anger at the ennui in the lyrics. I like the album version, but this is even better.

Other stuff: Sly & The Family Stone's giddy "(You Caught Me) Smilin'", Outkast's witty "We Luv Deez Hoez", TLC's jazzy "Creep", M.F.S.B.'s swinging "K-Jee", Eric B.& Rakim's hypnotic "Eric B. Is President", Louis Armstrong's sweet "When You're Smiling (The Whole World Smiles With You)", Jerry Butler & Brenda Lee Eager's deep "Ain't Understanding Mellow", The Band's joyful "Acadian Driftwood", Mary Lou Lord's touching Bob Dylan cover "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go", Bob Dylan's spiritual Sign On The Window", Destroyer's moody "It's Gonna Take An Airplane", The Beatles with Paul McCartney's "junk", Neil Young's lonesome "Albuquerque", the defiant "You Can't Hurt Me No More' by The Opals, Bob Dylan's scathing "She's Your Lover Now", Goldfrapp's sexy "Black Cherry" and Prince's melancholy "Sometimes It Snows In April".

It's hard to think back what exactly was going on five years ago when I listen to a particular mix, but I love how apt some of the songs feel right now.