Saturday, March 7, 2009

03-06-08: My World It Smiles, Your Hand In Mine, We Walk The Miles

There is probably no more exuberant song than The Jackson 5"s "I Want You Back", which is here as well as a charming live cover by KT Tunstall.

Other stuff: a live piano version of "Somebody's Baby" by Jackson Browne, another live piano performance with Laura Nyro & Labelle covering The Drifters' "Up On The Roof", The Soul Children's funky take on Stevie Wonder's "signed, Sealed & Delivered", more Stax from Johnnie Taylor with "I Don't Want To Lose You", rare disco from The Invisible Man's Band with "All Night Thing", A Tribe Called Quest's accurately-titled "Keeping It Moving", Shirley & Lee's joyful "I Feel Good", Stuff Smith & His Onyx Club Boys with the raucous "I'se A Muggin' (Part 2)", Quasimoto's trippy  "Put A Curse On You", and Sun Ra's mellow "New Day".

Mr. Nogatco is yet another alias of Kool Keith, here with the reliably weird "Bionic Fuse". I think "Man On The Moon" might be REM's very best song.  I prefer their later, or by now mid-period, work to their over-rated early stuff. Dee Dee Warwick is next with a great Elvis Presley cover, "Suspicious Minds".  Abner Jay's winsome "Cocaine Blues" precedes the atmospheric "Big Log" by Robert Plant.

Robert Plant's composition "Thank You" bookends this mix, which ends with a recent cover by Lizz Wright.  And starts with a stunning live version by Led Zeppelin on the BBC.  I love the way Plants wordlessly sings at the end, over the church organ.  It sounds like a religion I would happily join.