Wednesday, March 4, 2009

03-04-04: It's Just A Silly Phase I'm Going Through

Bob Marley & The Wailer's wise "Who The Cap Fit" is followed by the first of four versions of "In The Pines".  A traditional song dating back to the 1870s, it is also known as "Black Girl" or "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?".  I have "In The Pines" by The Louvin Brothers, Leadbelly, Dolly Parton, and Bill Monroe with His Blue Grass Boys. Under it's title "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?", I have two versions sung by former husband and wife Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love, with their bands Nirvana and Hole, respectively.  I have another version by Leadbelly that differs from his "In The Pines" version.

In between these harrowing tales of infidelity are: the suggestive "I'm A Carpenter (Part 1)" by David Robinson, Ol' Dirty Bastard's catchy "Got Your Money" featuring Kelis, Billy Preston & Syreeta's lovely "With You I'm Born Again", Nina Simone's slowed-down "House Of The Rising Sun", Elton John's elegant "Mona Lisa & Mad Hatters", N.E.R.D.'s messy "She Wants To Move", a remix of Harlem Underground Band's "Smoking Cheeba Cheeba", 1o cc's dreamy "I'm Not In Love", Lionel Richie's awesome Commodores ballad "Sail On", Dr. Dre's remix of The Rolling Stones' "Miss You", a buizarre Indian-styled cover of The Rolling Stones' "Brown Sugar" by Opium Jukebox,  Cat Stevens' graceful "Lady D'Arbanville" and Tears For Fears cover "Mad World" by Gary Jules.

The last song was made popular by the movie Donnie Darko, which was a favorite of mine many years ago when this mix was thrown together. I seem to remember a gorgeous Israeli bartender playing the Cat Stevens song constantly around this time as well. It seems every one of these old mixes has some specific memory for me of what I was hearing or seeing back then.