Other stuff: Deon Jackson's ebullient "Love Makes The World Go Round", the catchy "We've Been Had" by The Walkmen, Nellie McKay's bizarre "Toto Dies", followed by Morris Day & The Time's infectious "Jungle Love".
Run-DMC's percussive "Peter Piper" leads into Gang Starr's history lesson, "Jazz Thing". Charles Mingus is next with his own jazz thing, "Hora Decubitus".
"I Wanna Be Loved" is best known as an 80s ballad by Elvis Costello & The Attractions. But it was originally a 70s soul ballad by Teacher's Edition. I have both versions here.
The Rolling Stones' tough "Heart Of Stone" and Los Lobos' mystical "Kiko And The Lavender Moon" sandwich a Clash song and cover. "Guns Of Brixton" gets a typically spacey workout by Nouvelle Vague, leading to the similarly otherworldly "Charlie Don't Surf" off The Clash's Sandinista! album. Joe Strummer was a huge movie fan and took the title from Robert Duvall's line in Apocalypse Now.
"My Love Pt. 1" is a cover of Paul McCartney & Wings by The LTG Exchange. It is preceded by McCartney's magnificent hit with Wings, "With A Little Luck". I have warm memories of this song from my 70s childhood and it's still so uplifting.
Finally, three songs by ex-Replacement leader Paul Westerberg. "AAA", which seems to be an acronym for "Anything, Anyone, Anymore", as in the chorus, "I ain't got anything to say to anyone anymore". Such a bleak message is leavened by great guitar and some other typically smart-ass lyrics about diet pills and the like.
Much more heartfelt are the two versions of "Love Untold" that bookend this mix. One is the album version, the other an acoustic take from a live radio appearance. I like this song as much as anything he's done since The Replacements, and I think it sits right up there with their best, too.