Monday, March 23, 2009

03-23-06: I'll Blame It On The Time That Never Was Enough


This mix is anchored by four versions of Bob Dylan's kiss-off anthem "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright".  One is a live version from 1964 by Bob himself, the others are by Odetta, Billy Paul and Johnny Cash.

The other repeating song this week is John Lennon's "Jealous Guy". The Faces do a typically ragged studio take and Donny Hathaway delivers a live version that I believe to be the definitive take on the song.

A few other live songs on this mix: The Clash with "Train In Vain, The Supremese with "Stop! In The Name of Love", and Otis Redding with "I've Been Loving You To Long (To Stop Now)".

Other stuff:  DJ Muggs' mash-up of Kool Keith's vocals over "One Of These Nights" by The Eagles, Junior Murvin with The Upsetters on the dense "Closer Together", Yo La Tengo's obscure "Pencil Test", Stephen Malkmus' peppy "Pencil Rot", Komeda's airy "Focus", Clipse's witty "Comedy Central", Hawksley Workman's carnivalesque Clash cover "Bankrobber", a demo take of "Julia" by The Beatles,  Beck's timeless "I"ve Seen The Land Beyond", Stevie Wonder's heart-breaking "Blame It On The Sun" and Jackie Gleason's bittersweet "Melancholy Serenade".

The last two songs in particular guarantee a lump in your throat on a rainy day.