Thursday, March 19, 2009

03-19-09: I Was Shivering Inside

This mix kicks off with the awesome guitar of George Harrison's "What Is Life".  I'm afraid I don't have the answer, except for 20 more songs here.

Albert Ayler's "Thank God For Women" might be one answer.  Also here: the festive "1956, 1957, 1958" by Lata Mangeshkar & Manna Day, MF Doom alias Viktor Vaughn with the stark "Popsnot", the exuberant "Pomp & Pride" by The Maytals, the blazing "Ever Fallen In Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've?) by The Buzzcocks, 60s garage rock from The Squires with "Going All The Way", the Foster Sylvers-sampling "out Da Way" by Ghostface and Wigs, James Brown's precusssive laughter on "Since You Been Gone", Kool Keith's demonic boasts on "When I Burn" by Ultramagnetic MCs, MF Doom's pretty instrumental "Jasmine Blossoms", Nirvana B-side "Clean Up Before She Comes", some bootleg practice takes of "Atlantic City" by Bruce Springsteen, the second take of "I'm So In Love With You" by Duke Ellington featuring Smith Ballew on vocal, the sweetly nostalgic "You Mother Should Know" by The Beatles, the soulful crron of Karen Dalton on "Take Me" and a great sexy duet between Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan on "The Flame That Burns".

Couple more songs that repeat.  The gorgeous "Pink Moon" by Nick Drake is here as well as a cover by Beck.  And finally, John Lennon's "Jealous Guy".  To me, the definitive version will always be Donny Hathaway's live take.  But here,  I have another nice live version, albeit a  bit more hushed, by Elliot Smith.  And I also have an laternate take by John Lennon.  MIssing is the icy piano and whistling of the original, but in its place is some acoustic guitar.

The sentiment, however, remains as resonant as ever.