Friday, March 27, 2009

03-26-09: Even As An Import, It's Just A Regular Cab In Foreign Countries

There are a few songs on this week's mix that repeat. The country standard "Copper Kettle" gets diverse readings from Bob Dylan and Bobby Womack.  "I Wanna Be Adored" by The Stones Roses is here along with a banjo-inflected cover by Axton Kincaid.  And Robert Plant with Little Band O' Gold does a wonderful version of Fats Domino's "It Keeps Rainin'", also here in its original version. Janis Joplin's "A Woman Left Lonely" is here with a slower take by Cat Power.

Other songs:  Siouxsie & The Banshee's sprightly "Hong Kong Garden", Bob Dylan's foreboding "Political World", The Beatles' feedback-drenched "I Feel Fine", Blind Willie Johnson's joyful "Church, I'm Fully Saved To-Day", Stetsasonic's bouncy "Talkin' All That Jazz", Kool Keith's bizarre "The Girls Don't Like The Job", the dense "Invisible Man" by The Breeders, Bing Crosby's lovely "Sweet Leilani", Ghostface Killah's sampling of The Three Degrees with "Beauty Jackson", the haunting "In The Rain" by The Dramatics, Joe Cocker's uplifting take on Randy Newman's "I Think It's Going To Rain Today", the sweet "Go To Sleep My Darling" by The Dezurik Sisters, and the melodic "She's Always A Woman To Me".  I had always found this song, like a lot of Billy Joel songs, a little cheesy.  But when I was in a bodega one night recently it was playing on the radio.  The old man behind the counter agreed that it is an undeniably pretty song.

Finally, speaking of women, the mix is bookended with a hit by Etta James, "Stop The Wedding" and a obscure "answer" record by Anne Cole, "Don't Stop The Wedding".  It was hard to figure out which one to start the mix and which one to end it.