Monday, March 16, 2009

03-16-06: Who Can Explain The Thunder And Rain But There's Something In The Air

This mix is bookended with the companion songs from Neil Young's brilliant album Rust Never Sleeps. "My My, Hey Hey (Out Of The Blue)" is the haunting acoustic track that opens his album, and "Hey Hey, My My (Out Of The Black)" is the staggering full guitar track that closes the album with a bang.

The latter song on here is preceded by a demo version of Nirvana's "Polly".  Nirvana's Kurt Cobain quoted Neil Young's famous line from Neil's song in his suicide note, that "it's better to burn out than fade away".

Other stuff: sweet 70s Am radio cheese in Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds' "Fallin' In Love", Marvin Gaye's heartfelt "I Met A Little Girl", Wu-Tang Clan's swaggering "Triumph", DJ Muggs' mash up of Snoop Dogg over The Rolling Stones' "Emotional Rescue", early minstrel-ear music with "Mamma's Black Baby Boy" by Unique Quartet, Paul Simon's hypnotic "The Obvious Child", JJ Fad's awesomely fun beat-boxing "Supersonic", the gorgeous and touching "Don't Get Me Wrong" by The Pretenders, Rilo Kiley's pretty "More Adventurous", the spiritual "Deliverance Will Come" by The Johnson Family Singers, Prince ballad "Adore", Prince cover "Pop Life" by Yo La Tengo, and the spooky "Gouge Away" by The Pixies.

Three songs with the same title: "Hurt So Good" was a hit for Millie Jackson ion the 70s.  I also have on here a reggae cover by Susan Cadogan & The Mighty Diamonds. And just for fun, John Cougar's hit from my junior high youth.

Finally, I remember that during the week of this mix some three years ago I was lucky enough to see The Rolling Stones play a benefit show at Radio City Music Hall.  Which is probably why I included a live track here of "honky Tonk Women" from their 69 tour.  I also included one of my favorite ballads of theirs, an early 80s obscurity that they improbably dragged out that night, "Worried About You".