Monday, March 2, 2009

03-02-06: You Lured Me Into Something I Should Have Dodged

This mix kicks off with an alternate take on "Someone Told My Story" by Merle Haggard, leading into the Led Zeppelin foot stomper "Boogie With Stu", then Sister Rosetta Tharpe's wondrous "Strange Things Happening Every Day".

Next: Quasimoto's smack-talking "J.A.N. (Jive Ass Niggaz)", Laika & The Cosmonauts Hitchcock homage "Psycko",  and The Dead Kennedys' menacing "California Uber Alles".

Speaking of dead Kennedys, there are two JFK tributes on here. "May What He Lived For Live" is early Motown from Liz Lands.  "The Death Of John Kennedy" by Bob Coltman and Joe Bussard is a thoughtful folk lament.

More stuff:  A Taste Of Honey's disco smash "Boogie Oogie Oogie", Reuben Wilson's jazzy Turtles cover "Happy Together",  Jerry Jones doing a nice reggae take of The Four Tops with "Still Water", the eponymous "Fat Boys" by The Fat Boys, the ebullient "Soul Finger" by The Bar-Kays,  Barry Manilow's infectious "Can't Smile Without You", Slum Village's mellow remix of "Look Of Love", the original non-horns band version of "Can't Hardly Wait" by The Replacements, and a group called Pick Of The Pops featuring a young Elton John singing Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit In The Sky".

I also have two live versions of Bob Dylan's "I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)".  One is a solo performance in Carnegie Hall in 1964, the other a blistering version only a couple years later with The Band.

"The Love I Saw In You Was Just A Mirage" by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles features some of his best lyrics.  I've always been fond of the live Rolling Stones cover of his "Going To A Go Go". Reminds me of summer camp.

Finally, two very soulful ladies close out the mix. Cat Power's "Up And Gone" is from her fine album The Greatest.  Mary Wells' "When I'm Gone" is so haunting, pretty and sad. It sticks with you.