Saturday, November 7, 2009

10-30-03: I Am Not One Half Of The Problem

This mix from six years ago features two songs from the polar opposite ends of Tom Waits' range: the crazed "Kommienezuspadt" and the sentimental duet with Crystal Gayle called "This One's From The Heart".

De la Soul's "Say No Go" samples Hall& Oates' "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)". The Wu-Tang Clan's "I Can't Go To Sleep" heavily samples Isaac Hayes' version of the Bacharach standard "Walk On By" and features a cameo by Hayes.

The bizarre "JImmy Carter Says "Yess"" by Gene Marshall is from a compilation of "song poems".  Apparently years ago shady record companies put classified ads out for people to submit their songs to be recorded by amateurish musicians and singers.  The results were often strange yet surprisingly enjoyable.

Other stuff: Bunny Wailer's melodic "Blackheart Man", ELO's melancholic "Telephone Line", Teenage Fanclub's earnest "Your Love Is The Place I Come From", the haunting "Time Waits For No One" by The Rolling Stones, Corey Harris & Ranking Joe's cover of Pink Floyd's "Time", the forlorn "How Can I Tell My Mom And Dad" by The Lovelites, the frothy single version of Lou Rawls' "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine", PJ Harrvey's passionate "A Place Called Home", the single version of the spacey "Float On" by The Floaters, Chet Baker's version of the Wizard Of Oz standard "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" and Pavement's jangly "Zurich Is Stained".

Welcome John Coltrane