Monday, November 16, 2009

11-09-06: When You See Me Again I Hope That You Have Been The Kind Of Person You Really Are Now

This mix from a few years ago is bookended with the first two practice takes of Otis Redding's "(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay".  I like how he is told in the studio that he would never make it as a whistler.

Also on here twice: Bob Dylan's "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" in a rare "take 5" practice take as well as a cover by The Handsome Family. 

I laos have two versions of Weezer's "Jamie", one an acoustic live take.

Other stuff: the dramatic "Saturday Night Didn't Happen" by Reparata & The Delrons, Carly Simon's sly "You're So Vain" with backing vocals by Mick Jagger, Gloria Wood's swooning "By The Waters Of Minnetonka", Lindsey Buckingham's hushed "Trouble", Cheap Trick's tuneful "Dream Police", Pavement's frantic "Flux=Rad", Sly & The Family Stone's funky "If You Want Me To Stay", Masta Killa's Al Green-sampling "Pass The Bone (remix)", De La Soul's witty "Bitties In the BK Lounge", The Davis Sisters with the mournful country standard "I Forgot More Than You'll Ever Know", the tender "Leather And Lace" by Stevie Nicks with Don Henley, Barry White's romantic "Love's Theme", J Dilla's soul snippet "Don't Cry", Al Green's seductive "You Ought To Be With Me", Esther Phillips' cover of The Beatles' "And I Love Her" called "And I Love Him" and the pleading "Stay Baby Stay" by Johnny Daye.

(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay (Take 1) Otis Redding