Monday, November 23, 2009

11-13-08: What's The Point Of Having A Statue Of Liberty If You Turning Refugees Back To Sea?

Last year's mix is bookended with two versions of Cat Stevens' "Wild World": a demo version and a more recently recorded live version.

Also on here twice: Curtis Mayfield's "We People Who Are Darker Than Blue", both the original and a cover by Sinead O'Connor.

Q-Tip's "Gettin' Up" samples "You And I" by Black Ivory.

Other stuff: the spooky "Nautilus" by Bob James, Quasimoto's spacey "Come On Feet", Grand Magneto's cover of Blondie's "Heart Of Glass", a demo version of "Valentine" b y The Replacements, an alternate take of Fleetwood Mac's "Song #1 (I Know I'm Not Wrong)", Fats Waller's take of the standard "A Hopeless Love Affair", Kleerup's cryptic "Until We Bleed" featuring Lykke Li, Peggy Lee's romantic "The Tavern", Bjork's pretty "Scatterheart", Roy Ayers' seductive "And Don't You Say No", the forlorn "Nothing's Changed" by The Zombies, Hank Williams' resigned "I Ain't Gonna Love You Any More", a cover of The Beatles' "And Your Bird Can Sing" by Jim Reid of The Jesus & Mary Chain, John Lennon's haunting "Isolation", the John Lennon-sampling "Imagine" by Nas featuring Pitbull>


Wild World (demo) Cat Stevens