Monday, November 23, 2009

11-16-06: The Lips With The Soul And Some Jazz For Ya Hips

The cover of Buddy Holly's "Crying, Waiting, Hoping" by The Rolling Stones is actually Keith Richards playing alone in what sounds like a very loose late night session. Both that bootleg and the original are on this mix from three years ago.

A couple other songs repeat.  Yo La Tengo cover Prince's "The Beautiful Ones" and I also have a live version by Prince himself.  In addition to Fats Domino's standard "My Blue Heaven" I have a live cover by Marlene Dietrich. And finally, the jazz standard "Solitude", performed by Duke Ellington and Diana Ross.

Other stuff: a demo version of "Bad Girls" by Donna Summer, Charlie Parker's version of the Cole Porter standard "I Love Paris", the funky "Nickel Bags" by Digable Planets, Barry White's languid "Playing Your Game, Baby", the layered "Air" by Talking Heads, Led Zeppelin's driving "South Bound Suarez", Gid Tanner & His Skillet Lickers with the foot-stomping "It Ain't Gonna Rain No Mo'", Rhett Miller's cover of The Beatles' "Girl", Bob Marley's cover of Bob Dylan called "Rolling Stone", Gang Starr's swirling "Soliloquy Of Chaos", Willie Hutch's blaxploitation soundtrack work "Out There", DJ Muggs' collaboration with GZA on the NFL-themed "Queen's Gambit" and the spooky "Venus In Furs" by The Velvet Undergound.

I've Got A Feeling The Beatles