Monday, November 30, 2009

11-29-07: I'm The Boy She Can't Ignore

No particular artist or song featured on this mix from a couple years ago, so it makes me look a little harder and try to infer something else from the mix. What was happening in my life two years ago. It was around Thanksgiving and as I annotate this I am going to try and remember that Thanksgiving.

It begins with the light funk of K.C. & The Sunshine Band's "Give It Up", which is followed by the female rap pioneers The Sequence with "Funk You Up".

From there: the swinging "Wail Daddy" by The Charlie Dowell Orchestra With Wilie Lee Patton, a reggae cover of The Jackson 5's "I'll Be There" by Barry Biggs & The Dragonaires, ELO's operatic "Turn To Stone", the odd "Soul Heart Transplant" by Ebony Rhythm Band, the aggressive "Wack MCs" by Ultramagentic MCs, the aptly titled "Mumbles" by Oscar Peterson, Randy Newman's droll "Short People", D-Nice's self-aggrandizing "They Call Me D-Nice", Iggy Pop's catchy "The Passenger", the dramatic "The Ledge" by The Replacements, DMX's menacing "Up In Here", Kansas Joe & Memphis Minnie with the foreboding "When The Levee Breaks", an alternate version of "I Threw It All Away" by Bob Dylan, Merle Haggard's wry "I'm Gonna Break Every Heart I Can", Passion Train's countrified cover of Bruce Springsteen's "Two Faces", a live BBC version of "That's The Way" by Led Zeppelin, Saamidon's cover of "Head Over Heels" by Tears For Fears, Madeleine Peyroux's cover of Harry Nilsson's "Everybody's Talkin" and Ray Charles' version of the standard "Somewhere Over The Rainbow".

Give It Up K.C. & The Sunshine Band