This mix features Bob Dylan's "Lay Lady Lay", which was originally written for the Midnight Cowboy soundtrack but wasn't completed in time. Additionally, I have two live versions, one featuring The Band.
Also repeating on this mix is "Just What I Needed" by The Cars. In addition to the original, I have a kick-ass cover by Toshi Reagon.
M.I.A.'s "Baile Funk One" and "Baile Funk Two" appeared years ago on her Piracy Funds Terrorism mixtape: the former samples Madonna's "Papa Don't Preach".
Other stuff: frantic garage rock from The Zakary Thaks with "Bad Girl", MC Lyte's frustrated "I Cram 2 Understand U", Aretha Franklin's version of the Burt Bacharach standard "Walk On By", Duke Ellington's cheerful "Keep A Song In Your Soul" featuring Chick Bullock on vocals, Irene Cara's hopeful "Fame", a David Holmes remix of the obscure Coming And Going" by Ray Brown, Da Lench Mob's sly "Guerillas In The Mist", the smitten "Twentieth Century Fox" by The Doors, Howlin' Wolf's pleading "Smile At Me", Sister Cally Fancy's joyful "Goin' On To Heaven In The Sanctified Way", Outkast's time-averse "Chronomentrophobia", Sly & The Family Stone's languid "Just Like A Baby", Bjork's wistful "Anchor Song", Firefall's haunting "Just Remember I Love You" and an acoustic studio version of "Do You Realize??" by The Flaming Lips.